Thursday, November 15, 2012

What is gouache and why do I use it?



I’ve been getting a lot of questions about the materials in my work, specifically gouache (pronounced goo-wash). Many of my works on paper utilize gouache paint, which is an opaque watercolor.  There’s a rich history of painters that used gouache such as Egon Schiele.  He’s one of the first painters I was utterly obsessed with.  For many of his works on paper he often used gouache for the washy white outlines that surrounded many of his figures.  I’ve always been mesmerized by the contrast that it created in his drawings.  Before computers, graphic designers often used gouache when they wanted flat areas of color because it’s much easier to photograph.  Gouache uses gum arabic as a binding agent like watercolor paint but the pigment particles are much larger.  Gouache is known for its ability to reflect light and for opaque strength of the paint.  I’m obsessed with the matte chalky quality of the paint. 

I use Holbein Acryla Gouache, which is a combination of acrylic, and traditional gouache. When I want the colors to be really saturated I get out the gouache.  I like the Holbein Acryla over the traditional gouache because you can draw over it and the color does not lift up when layering other art materials on top.  It’s great if you don’t want brush strokes on your painted surfaces.  Acrylic paint tends to show brush strokes more than the gouache and I can create a matte area easier. Gouache dries super fast so you have to work quickly especially if you want to cover a large area.  I try not to worry about wasting paint anymore, as that’s really part of the process.  The gouache colors tend to dry at different values then they appear when wet so matching colors can be difficult.  It takes some getting used to but after painting with it for a while I can judge how much it will change after drying.  It can be frustrating to paint precise lines and meticulous details in gouache because of the drying time.  It takes me much longer to complete detail work in the gouache vs. acrylic.  However, I need the ground that gouache creates for certain pieces I use it when necessary.  I often go over my gouache drawings with Prismacolor colored pencils. They work the best and I really don’t use other brands.  I can’t really go over acrylic paint with colored pencils.  The Acryla gouache is not as fragile as traditional gouache so it suits my process perfectly. In other words, I can beat it up and it still looks good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment